|Programme Operator||Norway grants, Technology Agency of the Czech Republic (TA CR)|
|Funding Programme||TO – KAPPA Programme for applied research, experimental development and innovation|
|Total Budget||835 000 €|
|Project Period||01/01/2021 – 30/04/2024|
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The project aims to increase productivity in Norway spruce and Scots pine in Norway and Douglas fir in the Czech Republic, while enhancing the genetic diversity of new plantations.
Within the framework of in-situ forest tree gene-resource management, the project is focused on addressing the following key objectives. Each objective will be fulfilled by novel methodological development and software solutions validated in the operational tree improvement programmes in Norway and the Czech Republic.
The specific objectives are:
- development and validation of a novel genetic evaluation protocol,
- economic evaluation utilizing improved selection indices,
- adoption of spatial seed orchard layouts to accommodate specific constraints in advanced generations,
- development of a genetic thinning algorithm promoting random mating and minimizing inbreeding in seed orchards,
- utilizing stochastic simulation: comparison of the efficiency of alternative tree improvement strategies.
The project FORGENRES benefits from a 835 000 € grant from Norway Grants and Technology Agency of the Czech Republic within the KAPPA Programme.